Friday, November 1, 2013

Tangled Tides by Karen Amanda Hooper

This is my first book that has to do with mermaids or any sea creatures for that matter but I have heard that books with this kind of theme tend to disappoint. Well I guess I got lucky then because I rather enjoyed this book. I will say that there were some instances in which I found myself a little confused because somehow the mers could be inside houses dry and with legs but be under water or so that's what I thought or it could be the fact that just wasn't paying close enough attention when the author explained that part. I really can't be certain. Besides that though I thought the story flowed rather nicely and even though I had read a few other reviews where some people were complaining about one of the main characters, Yara, I found no fault in her and really rather liked her style as well as the personalities of most of the other main characters. It was a rather nice surprise to see a story in which there is not a love triangle. Yes there is another guy (Rownan) but it's not what you may think at first. There is however SOMEWHAT of a Romeo and Juliet love story between Yara and Treygan but it works well to me. This book is one in which I find simple yet has an interesting enough story to keep you reading until the very end. It didn't take me long at all to finish this one because I kept wanting to come back to it but let me admit that was partially due to the fact that it was an easy read so I knew I didn't have to have complete quite time to be able to follow along and keep up. I could take it anywhere with me and read and no matter what was going on around me I could follow the plot. Some books are a little more complicated and require all of ones attention in order to understand what's going on. This is a good choice for an uncomplicated quick read. Also it was refreshing to read about mythical beings that were not in any way related to the vampire, werewolf, angel theme that so many writers go to these days. I devoured it and enjoyed myself the entire time. I will definitely be trying more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment